Thursday, August 04, 2005

thinkin' about the good times

listening: it's a motherf*cker, eels (from the anniversary party soundtrack)

Thursday night, finally. Heading down to Orlando tomorrow but not before I splurge and buy a digital camera. I need one at this point...it's waay waay past want. Little nervous about flying by myself, as I HATE HATE HATE flying (yes, I work for a tour operator, it's hilariously ironic, I know) and I've never flown by myself. I am not freaking-out-having-a-nervous-breakdown-like-Europe-in-November so don't get scared. I'm fine, just jumpy-ass nervous. Excited to see my sister (Annie) and to see where she lives, as I've never visted her before and now she's moving home. My parents are also getting us a place at Cocoa Beach for the week so we can have a some beachy happiness. I'm psyched about that but it's supposed to be hot--and not with two t's. I'm ready for a vacation. I'm sure I've said this a hundred times, but I need a vacation. I KIND of just had one in May, but I haven't traveled for a vacation since before I was in college and that was with the Fam. I'm flying out tomorrow night at 830 and get in at 1120 into Orlando. Godwilling, my father will still be awake and will meet me at the airport so I don't have to take a cab. I haven't been to Orlando in YEARS...over ten, I think...yikes, I feel OLD! They bought a timeshare down there when I was like 14 or 15. I HATED it. I am generally not a big fan of FLA. It's a lot like a big flaccid somethingorother down there. My brother and I are both kind of down on Florida, but that's because he skis and wants to be in Vermont for the rest of his life. My dad is psyched because apparently he and Annie and Annie's boyfriend Phil are going golfing tomorrow morning. My dad now lives for golf. It's very strange...the whole family likes to golf. I'd rather stick my head in the microwave--am I missing something??

Roommate and I drove up to my parents house last night to drop of my dog. I didn't want the dog to stay here while I was gone and she has a great time at my parent's house, even though they're not going to be there until Monday. My uncle is watching the house so I'm not TOO worried but I am a little bit of a nervous mother. Roommate had never been to lovely Keene, so it was an experience. I kind of think that bringing someone who doesn't really understand me to Keene is like showing them a big chart of why I am the way that I am. Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't. I just want the next four months and four weeks to go quickly and quietly. I did feel that altogethernew rush when I hit the lights going into Keene; almost teary choked up happy feeling. Like when you hear a song you haven't heard in a while and it triggers a memory and you feel high and delirious.

Like 'writing to reach you' by travis that just came over my speakers. Perfect example.

OMG, great new show on Bravo is Kathy Griffin's 'D-List'. Watched "Kathy Griffin is...Not Nicole Kidman" last night. She's really brilliant. And bitchy. But also brilliant. Good for her getting her own show--she deserves it. And to think, she used to be on "Suddenly Susan"...how come poor Brooke has to battle Crazyass and why doesn't Judd Nelson get HIS own show? Where the hell is Judd Nelson these days? Him and his big nostrils are MIA--anyone got any ideas.

Speaking of long lost, I was poking around Rhapsody and wanted to get some Big Wreck, one of my all time favorite bands and really good summer music. They came out in 1998, the spring I graduated and I fell in lust with them, their music and the lead singer, Ian Thornley. Sadly, they are no more. HOWEVER, Ian has a new band called Thornley and they are kind of touring. My friend Art went to see them last summer somewhere and got them to autograph a CD for me. Good music still, though, honestly. He's got the voice of a god...very Chris Cornell meets Robert Plant. Anyway, apparently he is still hot...



Poked around their website for a while and came across something a little interesting...also sad...but interesting and a little tragically funny and we all know, that's the best kind of funny. They haven't been touring much, but they do have some pics up. Check out this pic...



You should click on it to get the full effect of that metal hair do.

Do you see it? Do you see it? No? No, it's not the guitar player or his fucked up retarded `do. Still can't see it? Look again...


< seriously, click to enlarge >

I am VERY sad to say that Thornley is CLEARLY not rocking the house. Look at that. This is a ROCK show and these people are just staring. Scroll up and look at how hard that guy is rocking that guitar and his ill-advised scalp malfunction. Now look at the picture again. They've got nothing. Either we caught them all in the start of a headbang or Thornley shouldn't be looking forward to opening for anybody this summer...maybe a KFC or something. How sad. Their CD is good though so if you haven't heard it I suggest you give it a listen, if you like that sort of thing. It's sad when your heroes go bust, especially when they're so talented. Feel bad really. In tragically funny kind of way.

Ok, off to pack. I'm going to try to set up a Flickr account so I can post pics of my journey. Check back later.

Laters.

No comments: