Monday, March 31, 2003

sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell

I'm having a good music night.
You know, after you've been at work all day and you just want to come home, eat something that involves no cooking (like cereal, in fact) and flop in front of the TV set for 5 hours until it's time to go to bed? Yeah, one of those nights. So I had my cereal and flopped in front of the TV. Watched 2 episodes of the Simpsons and at eight o'clock realized that our entire culture is doomed.
Married By America?
C'mon. I had to turn it off before my television got physically sick.
Winamp is the greatest thing on the face of the Earth. We have some good music. Neil and I are the only people who download, and we download stuff that catches our fancy at the time. I have A LOT of Coldplay. Neil likes New Wave. We have a lot of stuff from our collective childhood, stuff we hear in movies, stuff that makes us happy. Coldplay makes me happy, but so does Ben Folds and Bob Dylan, Cake and ABBA (sorry, they do).
So instead of flopping on the couch for 5 hours, I beebop around the kitchen, singing along with Ben Folds and do dishes and make dessert for my boys and feel happy and want to write and write. Not worry about SARS and our unbelievably rediculous little troll of a president or money or what the hell I'm going to get Mikey for his birthday.
And sometime the shuffle on Winamp sucks. It plays what I don't want to hear and I have to keep running into the living room to change the bloody song. Not tonight, though. It played all the right songs:
Things Have Changed, Bob Dylan
Tiny Dancer, Ben Folds live
Sheep Go to Heaven, Cake
Star Guitar, Chemical Brothers
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces of You, Ben Folds Five
Underground, Ben Folds Five
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton John
Start Again, Electric Soft Parade
Killing Moon, Echo and the Bunnymen
Moses, Coldplay (which is my new favorite song, holy shit, I could listen to it all day and all night. It's so beautiful. I love the guitar in it. It's just beautiful.)
Anyway, I'm just happy. I just am. I had a terrible day and I just let it go.
I don't care.
It's just work.
Excuse me, "Lips Like Sugar" is calling...night



No comments: