Saturday, January 07, 2012

i think i can

So it's 2012 and we're all still here.  Personally, I was hoping for an apocalypse-type-thing because I am the world's greatest procrastinator.  I start books, diets, exercise regimes, blogs (ahem) with no intention of ever finishing them.  I don't believe in will power, at least not in the sense that I have any at all.  Shiny things get my attention.  I just have issues, yo. Look, I'm even starting my resolutions list a week late!  I win.

But in the interest of actually having 2012 be different from 2011 (and 2010 and 2009...you get the idea), I WOULD like to make a few changes in my life.  Accomplish something.  Do something.  So here is my wishlist for 2012.  I think ten is reasonable, so boom:

  • Quit smoking, for crying out loud.  Not only is it reallyreallyREALLY expensive (and also kinda gross, I KNOW), I am basically limiting almost everything in my life for this one vice.  A pack-a-day vice, which makes me sound like an aging classic rock singer or a trucker.  It makes me spend way to o much money for paper and dried up plant.  It makes my lungs hurt.  It makes me gaspy and coughy.  Not sure the way to go, though.  Due to other medications, chantix seems like it might not be for me.  e-cigarettes = more smoking.  The patch gives me weird dreams.  The gum tastes like shit.  Oh, shit.  I'm talking myself out of it already.  For realsies.  I'm going to throw-down like the detox scene in Trainspotting.  Except for the suppositories and toilet diving.
  • Move that ass.  Due to my crazy-ass smoking, exercise has been out of the picture for over a year.  I've gained weight, which I hate so much, since I was not exactly a skinny girl to begin with.  I wanna climb stairs without feeling like I'm going to die.
  • It's all about the Benjamins  I seriously have to concentrate on saving in 2012, especially for reason #4.  I plan to do this two-fold: get a 401K plan started at work (yes I KNOW it's insane that I don't have one.) and put away as much as I can a paycheck.  I need some cushion in case, oh, I don't know, my insanely effed up car decides to shit the bed for good.
  • MOVE OUT  After 9 years of living on my own, I had some issues that landed me back with my parents.  That was November 2010.  I need my own place.  Preferably in-town, two-bedroom, accepts a dog and two cats, including heat, hot water and snow removal.  Also must not be ghetto or directly next door to a KSC frat house.  Big windows and walking distance to work a plus.  Walking distance to bars a plus plus.
  • Read more.  Like, a lot more  Remember how I said I couldn't finish a book?  Yeah, it's EPIC.  I have total book ADD (I blame NPR and Huffington Post.  Also Oprah--I can't help it.  That bitch knows EVERYTHING.)  My goal is to read one a week.  My brain needs the exercise.  Today I started 'The Tiger's Wife' by Tea Obreht.
  • Spend more time with my family.  So it may seem counterproductive to want to move away from my family but also be closer to them, but I have good reason to want this.  Last month, a family member was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor and was given days to live.  It may seem dramatic, but seeing all my aunts that I haven't seen in years has made me want to be closer to my sister, my brother, my parents, my grandmother.  It's all about making the effort.  You never know what will happen.  And it's never too late.
  • Get crafty  Learn to crochet.  Learn to knit.  Sew my own curtains.  Anything but scrapbook.  If you see me near a Cricut, I give you permission to smack a bitch.
  • Get a tattoo.  Yeah.  So.  I don't know what I want, but I know that I want one.
  • Get my passport stamped, damn it.  I didn't travel in 2011 and my passport is totally pouting about it.  Amsterdam, Scandinavia, Columbia, Prague (again?), India?  Anywhere but here, yo.  I need to move about this world.  I get nervous when I haven't been completely cursed out in a foreign language after awhile.  Canada counts, too.  I've never been to Montreal.  Would love to hit up the West Coast and see San Francisco or Seattle.  Or Portland.  Or anywhere.
  • Fall in love.  'Nuff said.  I know you can't force it but I'm doing the work, kissing the frogs and keeping my fingers crossed.
So hopefully I will keep blogging and keep you up to date on how badly I am failing at all of this.  'Til then, ta.



No comments: